Car 970, alone of the 900 class, had four motors instead of the usual two, and so was usually assigned to St. Claude service. Hennick & Charlton describe (pages 151-152) a 1930s experimental installation of four motors on certain 900 series cars in hopes of improving their performance. The result of the experiment was the judgment that the expense of so equipping the entire car fleet did not justify the small improvement in performance, and so the experimental equipment was removed from the cars. It is not clear whether car 970 was involved in that experiment, and somehow retained its four-motor configuration, or whether it was so equipped later for a reason which is lost to history. However it came to have four motors, that configuration made it suitable to join the 1000 class cars in St. Claude line base service. It was not scrapped with the 1000s when St. Claude was converted to buses on January 1, 1949, but it did not survive much longer. The car was retired after an August 1949 collision with a line car, the first 900 class car to leave the active roster. It was gradually cannibalized for parts until final scrapping in 1952. This picture of 970 was taken in Canal Station yard. The panel on the front appears to be caved in around the headlight, so the picture may have been taken to document the damage from the collision (which does not appear to be particularly extensive). Note the work car, presumably car 29, behind the 970. It may have just been used as a tow car. The far trolley pole of 970 is up, but for some reason, it is off the wire.
Previous Picture | Next Picture