The uptown end of the S. Claiborne line was at the unusual intersection of S. Claiborne and S. Carrollton Avenues. Probably only in New Orleans would two major avenues both designated “South” intersect each other. It happens because, while both cross Canal Street (the dividing line between “South” and “North”), Carrollton runs in a completely straight line, while Claiborne bends to follow the crescent of the Mississippi River. At the terminal, the upbound track curved across the neutral ground, connecting to the downbound track in a single-track stub terminal, which continued in a curve to connect to the tracks on Carrollton for access to the car barn at Carrollton Station. (It seems surprising that the track didn't simply curve back on itself to form a loop rather than a stub terminal. There was certainly plenty of room.)
The upper picture here shows car 964 just after it has completed its upbound run and discharged its last passengers. The car is stopped on the curve, with the upbound automobile roadway glimpsed behind the car. This picture is undated, but the automobile suggests an early 1950s date.
The second picture, probably from the late 1940s, shows car 961, just a bit forward of the location of 964 in the first picture. The track glimpsed across the bottom of the picture is the downbound track. — D. R. Toye, S. J., Kenner Train Shop (Chris Rodriguez) collection, courtesy of Mike Palmieri
The third and fourth pictures, undated but from the same era, show cars 960 and 946 on the upbound track, approaching the switch connecting to the downbound track. In the fourth picture, car 964 has already changed ends and pulled forward to the point from which passengers are loaded for the next trip downbound. — Collection of Earl Hampton (fourth picture)
In the fifth picture, car 877 has passed over the switch and is still facing upbound. From here, normal operation calls for the car to be reversed, i.e. the trolley poles are changed and the seats are reversed, and the motorman and conductor swap positions in the car. Otherwise, the car is now facing the curve connecting to the S. Carrollton tracks, from which it could proceed to Carrollton Station. The activity visible in the foreground appears to be the construction of the terminal for the bus line which replaced the streetcar line in early 1953. That would date the picture to late 1952. (During the 1940s, car 877 would not usually have been assigned to S. Claiborne service; this would be more likely after S. Claiborne was moved in 1948 from Arabella Station to Carrollton Station and Napoleon Yard.) Note the Katz & Besthoff drug store on the corner, visible behind the streetcar. This was a long time New Orleans chain store, well known in the city and surrounding area. This store building included doctors' offices on the second floor.
The sixth picture depicts car 965 after it has pulled into the stub track and changed ends. The motorman is completing the process by hooking down what is now the front trolley pole. A couple of boys have taken the coveted spot in the right front window, from which to enjoy the ride downtown; one is wearing a Boy Scout hat. The date is probably around 1940. — Joseph P. Russo
The seventh picture, from the late 1940s, shows car 969 after it had pulled into the stub terminal and changed ends, ready to depart on its next trip. — D. R. Toye, S. J., Kenner Train Shop (Chris Rodriguez) collection, courtesy of Mike Palmieri
The eighth picture shows car 926 on July 13, 1941, and the bottom picture, taken March 14, 1949, shows car 959. Both cars are facing downbound, after having pulled into the stub, changed ends, and then pulled forward to load passengers. Car 926 has just started loading, and car 959 has completed loading and closed its doors, ready to depart downbound. At the far right edge of the eighth picture, one can see the pole and crossarms for the trolley wires on S. Carrollton Ave. Notice the landscaping on the neutral ground in most of these pictures.
Previous Picture | Next Picture