For the latest staff openings at Illinois Computer Science and the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, please see: http://jobs.illinois.edu.
Department of Computer Science
College of Engineering
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Department of Computer Science is seeking three Instructional Designers to design, develop, and manage effective course material and scalable assessments for use in learning management systems (LMS) and online learning platforms in collaboration with faculty using HTML/CSS and multimedia (including images, audio and video). Additionally, Instructional Designers will design, develop and maintain cloud-based platforms and infrastructure that promote effective teaching strategies and improve student learning experiences using systems programming and cloud-based development environments.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University’s commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- 50% - Design and develop high-quality effective course material in collaboration with Computer Science and other faculty while working cooperatively with staff in the College of Engineering and the Center for Innovative Teaching and Learning (CITL). Define learning objectives, create scalable formative and summative student assessments, and evaluate and maintain online course quality.
- 30% - Maintain expertise in the learning management system (LMS) platforms utilized for the courses offered by the Department of Computer Science, and design, develop and extend these platforms and other infrastructure that promotes effective teaching strategies and that improves student learning experiences.
- 15% - Act as primary point of contact for faculty, staff and students on the use of online tools for teaching and learning, including, but not limited to:
- Answering student questions
- Supervising teaching assistants (train, delegate tasks, manage performance, etc.)
- Assisting in the grade assignment and student progress review processes
- 5% - Assume additional appropriate related duties to further the mission of the department
Minimum Requirements & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in computer science, educational technology or a related field.
- Advanced coursework in computer science or a related field.
- Demonstrated experience in working with learning management systems/online learning platforms.
- Demonstrated systems programming skills.
- Experience with HTML/CSS, multimedia (including images, audio, and video), and development tools.
Preferred Requirements & Qualifications:
- Graduate degree in computer science, educational technology or a related field.
- Experience with the Coursera MOOC platform or other LMS platforms.
- Experience programming cloud-based systems.
- Experience in the design or delivery of online course material.
- Experience in CS education as an instructor or teaching assistant.
The Instructional Designer position is a full-time, benefits-eligible academic professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To apply for this position, please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, and names/contact information for three references as a single pdf file by March 22, 2019. Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by the closing date. For further information regarding application procedures, contact Denise Corray, firstname.lastname@example.org, 217-300-3309.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.